X Language: The impact of sexism in everyday communication
Study session, 21-25 September 2020, European Youth Center Budapest
The World Esperanto Youth Organisation (TEJO) in cooperation with the Council of Europe (CoE) and the European Youth Center in Budapest (EYCB) are organizing the study session ‘X Language: The impact of sexism in everyday communication’. The study session will give the opportunity to 30 young people from Council of Europe member states on the topics of sexism and verbal communication. Our participants will have the chance through the study session:
- To raise their awareness on the impact of everyday sexist language;
- To exchange opinions, knowledge & good practices and learn from each other;
- To get trained on verbal gender-based violence and discrimination; How to detect, prevent and combat it;
- To introduce gender-sensitive and gender-neutral terms that can be used in everyday communication;
- To bring the knowledge of the study session back home and spread the outcomes in their local communities.
The study session will take place between Monday 21st of September until Friday 25th of September 2020 (travel days not included, participants will be expected to arrive on Sunday before the study session and depart on Saturday after the study session) in the European Youth Center in Budapest, Hungary. We are looking for 30 participants, mainly 18-30 years old (also participants older than 30 years old are welcome to apply and possibly attend). The working language will be English. There is a participation fee of 50 euros to be paid to the Council of Europe; All the costs for accommodation, meals, traveling and visa costs will be covered by the Council of Europe. The participants will be responsible for their own insurance.
If covering the 50 euros fee is an obstacle for you, please let us know in your application or at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for enthusiastic young persons who are:
- Between 18-30 (also applications from interested people, older than 30, are very welcome);
- Living in a Council of Europe member state (you can find the list here);
- Able to attend a 5-days-educational-activity in English;
- Respectful and eager to learn;
- Interested in the topics of sexism and verbal communication, with no or small knowledge on the topic, but big interest to learn more and bring a change in your society.
Participants in need for a visa: If you would like to apply to the study session and will need a visa for Hungary to attend the activity, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Applications from people who need a visa will be evaluated on a rolling basis due also to the COVID-19 situation that makes it even harder for them to attend similar educational activities. Please note however that the visa will be provided only for the duration of the study session and all participants are expected to attend the full programme of the activity.
COVID-19: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, the study session may be affected too. It will take place preferably physically, but COVID-19 developments may affect this and have the event partially or fully online. In case it takes place physically, we will follow all health recommendations and take all necessary safety measures: face-masks, hand sanitizers & disinfection, preferably have outdoor sessions (if weather helps). The most recent developments and travel restrictions for Hungary can be found here in Hungarian and here in English. In any case, the safety of the participants, trainers and organisers is our absolute priority, so adjustments may occur depending on how the pandemic develops in the next period.
Depending on the developments and the country you reside, if selected, you will be invited to take part either physically or online.